Please submit a Word document of your full manuscript together with a one-page synopsis and covering email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Submissions by email only, please. We are open to submissions for children's fiction ranging from chapter books for emerging readers (aged 5+), right up to young adult/crossover titles. (Please note, we do not currently represent picture books.)
We know when you submit to any agent it can be difficult to know what to say. Here are some simple suggestions for getting it right . . .
What we want to know about you:
- Try to keep this to a paragraph or two at most.
- Tell us a little about your background, where you’re based now, your interests and inspiration.
- Let us know whether this is your first novel or if you’ve been published before.
What we want to know about your book:
- Tell us the age group you envisage reading your story and let us know whether there are other children's books (or YA) already on the market for a similar audience.
- Give us a brief (one page maximum) summary of the plot.
- Let us know if you see your novel as a complete stand-alone story or if you intend it to be the first in a set sequence (e.g. trilogy) or ongoing series.
What you can expect from us:
- An email within a week to acknowledge receipt of your submission.
- A response to let you know whether we are interested in taking things further.
- We know that waiting for a response can be stressful so we will try to get back to you within a month.
Although we may do so in future, we are not accepting picture book submissions at this time.
If you are interested in picture book advice, please do consider contacting the very wonderful Blue Elephant Storyshaping (www.blueelephantstoryshaping.com). Blue Elephant Storyshaping is an editing, coaching and mentoring service aimed at empowering picture book writers and illustrators to fine-tune their work pre-submission.